RSS

The love of Teak

When I think of teak I think of far off tropics in southeast Asia. Teak is used extensively there as a wood for furniture. I love its use in an outdoor environment where it takes on a soft patina as it ages. Its highly resistant to termites and rot and takes on a soft gray in color with weather exposure. Reclaimed and recycled teak have become extremely popular in the US and Europe. It's a highly durable tropical wood that only gets better with time.


The teak deck adds a place to relax among this Indian garden pool.I understand why this homeowner in Oakland, CA preferred reclaimed teak for a backyard gazebo over using wood from a big box store.
image: NY Times

Reclaimed teak from Indonesia is used for floorboards in this Minnesota
house. The weathered boards add to the old world charm.
image: NY Times
Teak is a popular wood for Indian furniture makers. I would use these chairs in a sun room, patio setting or any room where I want to add a rustic element. White cotton canvas cushions add sophistication or a floral print for a casual feel.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

TopOfBlogs My Ping in TotalPing.com iPing-it Add to Feedage RSS Alerts Add To Fwicki Add to Spoken to You
Preview on Feedage: interior-design-minimalis Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google! Add to AOL! Add to MSN
Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to Netvibes Subscribe in Pakeflakes Subscribe in Bloglines Add to Alesti RSS Reader
Add to Feedage.com Groups Add to Windows Live
Feedage Grade B rated